Open to any kind of story up to 10,000 words in length.
We’re looking for previously unpublished stories that exemplify the power of narrative to make one think and feel. Ideal stories will use character, plot, description, humor, and concept to open new emotional and cognitive territory for readers. The contest is judged by the editors.
The 2014 contest is now closed. We remain open to regular submissions, and the contest will return next year.
1st $3,000 + publication
2nd $500 + possible publication*
3rd $250 + possible publication*
Four stories will also be recognized for:
-striking use of wit: $100*
-beguiling character: $100*
-description that makes us think we were really there: $100*
-propulsive plot line and/or scene $100*
*All honorees will be considered for publication in the forthcoming Stoneslide Collection, and/or in The Stoneslide Corrective
Contest opens Thursday, March 20 (first day of spring)
Entries due by Saturday, June 21 (first day of summer)
Notification made on Tuesday, September 23 (first day of fall)
HOW TO ENTER
What do you have to do? Write a kick-ass story. Pay a $10 entry fee.
Wait for an answer…
Get more and more anxious.
Yell at your kids and the dog.
Imagine how good it would feel to win.
Try using the Rejection Generator to calm your nerves.
Rabidly check your email on September 23.
- All work submitted must be original and never published before.
- All submissions will be read blind, meaning that the readers and judges will only see the title and body of the story before making a judgment.
- Simultaneous submissions are permitted, but you must withdraw a work immediately if it is accepted for publication elsewhere, with no refund of the entry fee.
- The contest will be judged by the editors of The Stoneslide Corrective.
- Family members of the editors and editorial staff are ineligible to enter.
- Up to ten stories may also be designated “honorable mentions.”